The Trust Committee tries to meet monthly for committee meetings.
The Trust Committee is obligated to hold at least one all Nation Trust meeting per year, which is open to all Gwa’sala-‘Nakwaxda’xw Nation Members. It is at these all Nation meeting where proposals to use Trust funds are voted upon, requiring a quorum of 25% of the Nation Membership to be present, and 50% +1 of those people to vote for or against the proposals. The Trust Committee is also obligated to provide reports and financial updates at these meetings.
If you would like to view Trust Board of Director meeting minutes or other documents held in the Trust office, please make an appointment with the Trust Chair (250) 230-0034 to meet at the Trust Office (in the Gwa’sala-‘Nakwaxda’xw Elders Centre) to go over them. Because the minutes contain sensitive information, at this time they cannot be posted online, copied, or removed from the Trust office.
- At the time that the Trust Agreement was written, the following types of projects were suggested:
- Scholarship and bursary funds for vocational training, post-secondary school education and other training or education programs
- School facilities
- Housing for members including new houses, upgrades to existing houses, upgrading of village streets and sidewalks, landscaping, and like housing elements
- Health care for members
- Construction and maintenance of roads, bridges, ditches, water courses, fences, Nation buildings or permanent improvements or works on the Nations reserves
- Construction of facilities for members including, as the needs may reasonably require, elders’ housing complex, counseling and rehabilitation centre, health clinic, meeting house, cultural longhouse and like facilities
- Social, cultural and recreational purposes
- Fishing endeavours, for which may reasonable be required the following: boats, licenses, quotas, net and gear storage facility, seawall, breakwater and floats
- If viable under a business plan, to promote or establish a business or commercial operation owned by the Nation or a Nation Corporation
- Economic development including Corporations controlled by the Nation